Not going to Mission? Come see ICSCC racers take a shot at $35,000 purse at PR 6/26

Nice work fellas! Looks like Randy picked up a few hints and tricks to go faster out there...like he needed that! Sounds like everyone had a pretty good showing. Local participation in events like this one will help to insure more national attention in the future.

I just wish I could have watched!

hi everyone i'm new to racing, i am wondering if there are events like this often in the pacific northwest (events with cash prizes) and if there is a list of the make/model/maybe specs on the cars in the races?

basically I have a 86 camaro, v6 right now, but something else later. i want to see if its even remotely possible for me to win with the vehicle i have now or with some upgrades.

In ICSCC and SCCA the cash flow is out - not in. The only purses we get involve exhibition races and there's not enough money there to go after. Randy B can comment on roundy round guys, but if you win on some of those races you get a purse but they cut up your car so you have to build a new one.

comments would be cool I don't even know what a roundy round is

what do you mean they cut up your car? how much are those purses? my car isn't worth a much, wouldn't cost that much to replace.

I see a lot of entry fees listed, and nothing else, does that mean there is just an entry fee and the winner gets no money?

In ICSCC and SCCA the cash flow is out - not in.

Greg,

Why stop at Conference and SCCA? Include NASA, Mustang Challenge, Conti GS/ST, and Rolex, for the most part.

jerome187,

Seriously, you won't make any money racing cars at a Club level, or at most other levels, even if you are very, very, very good. You have to love it to do it, and it's expensive - some approaches are more expensive than others. Do it for the enjoyment, and forget about getting any income off it. If you run Pro3 and get a set of tires from Toyo over the course of a year, consider yourself lucky to have such a great title sponsor. I know I do!

Roundy-round is left turn only oval racing (like NASCAR).

Most Club races have an entry fee to cover the cost of running the event (track rental, insurance, etc), and pay no prize money. Nor do they charge any admission for the spectators, who are usually limited to family and friends of racers. It's for fun, not profit.

How do you make a small fortune racing cars? Start with a large one. :smile: (I crack myself up, again!)

Dan

Last edited:
Jerome, the race being discussed was very much an exception to the rule when it comes to club racing. A few guys within ICSCC with NASCAR-type stock cars were invited to join in a race with a differant sanctioning body, meant for a specific group of cars that don't normally participate with ICSCC. They run their own tour, mostly on circle tracks ("Roundy-round") like NASCAR, only smaller tracks, and have a very specific rule set that no converted production car could ever comply nor be competitive with. (No disrespect to your Camaro project intended here at all, just a fact).

Lots of money exchanges hands in club racing, but it only flows one way...OUT of your wallet, not in. This rare opportunity for us to run with the ASA tour guys at PR was pretty much the only time money is likely to flow the other way.

When Greg mentioned that they 'cut up your car', he was speaking to the fact that circle track competition often involves avoidable/intentional contact between cars, unlike ICSCC's culture of racing which frowns upon avoidable contact during competition. Those guys are used to banging up their cars and the constant need for repairs, whereas within ICSCC avoidable contact is not tolerated**.

Last edited:
I don't see how there can be a $275 entry fee and no purse in an IRDC race. is that a norm entry fee or are there other road courses around that are not so much?

IRDC races are the most expensive around here (well, I don't know about the SCCA Nationals) because they host races at Pacific Raceways, the most expensive track to host a race at. Races at Portland are a little cheaper, Mission/Spokane a bit cheaper than that, and I think the races at ORP are the cheapest (all in terms of entry fee only; towing to Spokane/ORP can be expensive from the Seattle area).

Other than the rare event, I'm not aware of ANY sportscar racing series in this country that pays prize money.

"Other than the rare event, I'm not aware of ANY sportscar racing series in this country that pays prize money."

The SCCBC runs The WSC (Westcoast Sportscar Championship) at most Mission Races. They pay prize money for each class at each race and have a series prize fund that every competitor who earns points in the season shares. This series normally has a special race at the Mission ICSCC weekends but this year it was not run due to the time frame imposed on a double race 2 day weekend. The 2010 WSC is five races with the last race on Oct 9/10. Go to the SCCBC web site for full details

www.sccbc.net under Westcoast heading

so whoever owns the track is making a few bucks eh. sigh

Hopefully, they are making a "few bucks", or there would be no reason for them to let us run on their track. The insurance company is making a "few bucks" too, so that it's worthwhile for them to take the risk to have to pay off a claim, should one occur while we are using the track.

Now that we have five tracks (maybe six in the future, if Shelton gets legs), it's my belief that there are a decent number of tracks to provide a service to Conference, so that prices will be appropriate for the service provided. With five tracks, there should be adequate competition to keep prices "reasonable" (from a market standpoint).

Not that a "few hundred" bucks is ever something to blow off, but in the overall budget of racing, the entry fees are a small part of it. Tires, race fuel, tow vehicle fuel, repairs to cars, towing to tracks, repairs to tow vehicles, etc., generally add up to more on a weekend than the entry fee.

All this aside, come on out to an event and see what you think. It is a great group of racers, who really enjoy what we're doing. Commit a day and volunteer to work a turn station or pregrid with one of the safety folks. They're also great people, and you'll get the best seat in the house. We're racing in Seattle at PR July 30-August 1. Come by the Pro3 paddock if you want to chat. We're usually down by the gas pumps.

If you're looking to this to pick up some money, you're looking in the wrong place. If you're looking to have fun with a good group of people, learn how to go fast and be safe doing it, this is the place in the Northwest.

dan

then there are a very few racers like my self that the entry fee IS the major expense of the weekend. because ... well i could make up a bunch of reasons lol

Eric (and Tucker) definitely go fast, without spending a lot of cask, and have a great time doing it. I stand corrected!

Back