Not going to Mission? Come see ICSCC racers take a shot at $35,000 purse at PR 6/26

Randy Blaylock

Highlander Motorsports
If you're not heading to Mission, come on out to Pacific Raceways to see Conference racers take on the ASA Northwest Tour regulars for a $35,000 prize list overall, $5,000 to win, at a 40 lap ground pounder race.

The schedule for Saturday begins with hot laps and final practice at 9am, qualifying at noon, and the race at 4pm.

The race format is 40 laps total, split into two segments. The opening segment is 25 laps, followed by a short competition caution pit stop, and a final 15 lap shootout. The start and re-starts are double file, and there is a lucky dog provision.

The current entry list includes several multi-time NW Tour champions, local oval track hot shoes, and your very own Conference ground pounders, for a total of 26 cars.

Conference racers include; Manfred Duske, Rick Bostrom, Dave Haire, Rod Powell, Joe Manke, Jeff Holden, Ralph Hubbert, and myself.

All times are approximate at this time, please check at www.pacificraceways.com for final schedule.

What's the entry fee for spectators (is there one)? Also, do you any of you guys need spotters? They require them, don't they?

I will be out there helping a few people running karts in a support race. If anybody needs any help let me know. I am sure they won't keep me too busy.

Randy Did you find the parts to repair your car? I thought I might be able to go, but found out today that I am on overtime Thrusdays thru Sunday. Show them 'other guys' how its done. Good Luck and have fun.

If you're not heading to Mission, come on out to Pacific Raceways to see Conference racers take on the ASA Northwest Tour regulars for a $35,000 prize list overall, $5,000 to win, at a 40 lap ground pounder race......

Well, that sounds like a good idea if our Conference Ground Pounders are in there!

I was gonna come out to flag the event but Marie put together the turn workers and I wasn't on the list.. sigh.

Randy,
If anybody needs help just holler. I come equiped with a full set of tools in my trunk plus some electrical 'fix it' stuff in bins.

BTW:
Hospitality Tents and temporary fencing are going up for the SOVREN Historics weekend.

Case you haven't heard Celebrity Driver this year is Augie Pabst!! Colorful carreer (he and his son still run a prep shop in addition to being a retired exec from the brewery). But I remember him most for driving the Miester Brauser Scarab.. Ohhh, what a car in its day. And, he still owns and Vintage races (in the midwest) the one he raced as a team mate of Lance Raventlow!

Last edited:
Randy, how are you guys meeting their rules - weight, engine, carb, tire etc. rules? Or is it a "run what you brung" deal?

Robert Barg

For Friday, gates open at 7am, practice sessions begin at 9am, 3 x 50 minute sessions. Pit Crew challenge is at 3pm I believe, and the VIP dinner/social is at 6pm.

Man, I wish this didn't overlap a Conference race, I would have really liked to make it out to watch/help. Good luck guys! Take it to them "Pros"!

That was seriously fun, even if I'm all worn out and sunburned. I thought the Conference drivers did really well, especially when you consider the cars they were racing have more aero, 4-inch lower rooflines, 6-inch wider tracks, and a LOT more horsepower. Yes, those loud 'n' fast ground-pounders in Group 1 are actually the slow, quiet cars compared to the Northwest Tour cars.

And, dudes... PRIZE MONEY!! Cars picked up $800 just for showing up!

Conference dirver's results

Any race results?

Robert Barg

Conference drivers results: (a 20 car field took the green flag)

Place Driver Fast Lap
3rd Randy Blaylock 1:25.851
5th Dave Haire 1:28.492
8th Ralph Hubbert 1:27.841
10th Rick Bostrom 1:29.358
11th Joe Manke 1:27.931
13th Manfred Duske 1:29.178
14th Rod Powell 1:27.226

Very excited about a top 5 finish after a disappointing 13th in qualifying. There seemed to be more than a fair amount of tire issues within the field (punctures from debris) and a few cars retired early due to mechanical issues. There also were some problems with running out of fuel by a couple of folks. We made the pit stop practically on fumes ourselves, due to extended caution laps. I think we put in 13 gal at the pit stop which still didn't top off the 15 gal cell! These guys like to do a LOT of pace laps. The tour cars would just walk away from us in the straights with their horsepower advantage, but we were able to hold our own, and sometimes have to check-up some, in the twisties. Except, that is, for Randy Blaylock, who continues to drive that car of his faster than it should be able to go.

A big THANK YOU to Steve Adams and Scott Norton for being a huge help to me as my crew for the race on Saturday. Steve was fantastic on the radio as my spotter, and Scott did a flawless pit stop between the two race sessions with Steve's assistance. I really appreciate it guys!

Last edited:
To all you conferance GPDA drivers, I here by other sources that you guy's showed the "BIG" boys what local drivers can do. Way to go to all of you. Very nice job.

Back