Upcoming Portlandia race... explain the rides for charity.

colin_koehler

Great SCOTT!
So at the upcoming race at Portlandia can someone explain how the race car rides work?

Is it something that anyone can donate to the charity and then get a ride?

Maybe we can generate some interest outside of Conference (other car enthusiast boards) that can work 2 fold: Bring some interest (spectators/enthusiasts) to a Conference event and get more money raised for the kids.

Thank you.

Yes, people (any people) make a donation and get to put a loaner helmet on and take a one lap ride in a real race car. If you cannot supply a car, loaner helmets of all sizes are always needed.

Done during the long lunch hour. Pretty tightly controlled in terms of speed and lapping. Probably not a good idea to get 'other clubs' involved.

Hmm, I'm guessing the Dornbecker must be this weekend??

Last edited:
All joking aside. Why not invite some folks from the BMW club, NSX club, GT86 group etc to come down and watch/donate and maybe get hitch a ride.

Is it that the charity is already overwhelmed with donations? Do we usually have a mile long line of people waiting for rides? Not enough racers with passenger seats?

Colin,

Keep in mind this is done as a part of a 'regular' race weekend. The club has to do the added activities of the charity on top of the 'normal' race stuff. We get a PLUS spectator turnout because of the children who are in treatment at the hospital and their parents. ALL of the people you mentioned above are more then welcome to show up and donate. This event is one of the bigger promoted events for ICSCC but just how wide the promotion is, you'd have to ask somebody down in Portland in-the-know.

BUT to take people for rides, they must be a licensed ICSCC racer and have a passenger seat in their car including belts.

There are a lot of other things going on that make the event worthwhile other then the race car rides. There's a silent auction with many different things for sale (mostly for kids) and food available.

Colin's point of other clubs is not to "drive" the track, but to donate and promote going racing...

How about we strap them on the engine cover a of a Formula Ford and go ten tenths? These CW drivers go way fast enough to spook any novice rider, so if it works, leave it alone.

True that Wes I used to take rides with the V8 guys.......scared me silly......nothing to hold onto and no brakes.....well with the money to a good cause

Don't confuse the 'Kids Karavan' Saturday afternoon (extended lunch) with the 'Exotics' charity rides that are run between sessions as track conditions permit.

Speak with CSCC Race Chairman to find out who to contact regarding donating your time to participate in that Kids Karavan and the satisfaction of taking a child on what may very possibly be their once in a lifetime opportunity to ride in a 'real' racing car with a 'real' racing car helmet and a 'real' racing car driver at the wheel. Yes, you need a seat to strap them into, and the 'race' is completely staged to remain safe with Dover waves included. Also free of charge.

The exotic rides are a different set up entirely, and really depend on the ability of the club's race marshalling to maintain a 'green' track to accommodate one or two hot laps. Seven minutes between the last checkered and the next green are probably NOT enough time to perform those functions to reasonable and a potential donor's $atisfaction.

Worth the thought for any club, but it needs some 'real' scheduling to make it fly right with everyone on the same page to make it marketable.

This means that planning the logistics is necessary. Having the support people in position is necessary. And trying to pull those support people from their other marshalling duties is not a good strategy. But if you call those 'inactive' club members, you may get it going.

Last edited:
Thank you Mike, you got what I was getting at.

To clarify:

I am not advocating for other clubs to drive their cars on track during our weekend
I am not inquiring about the "exotics" in between sessions.
I am not inquiring about the kids caravan.
I am not suggesting we "change" anything at all whatsoever.

I am inquiring about this part of the schedule below that is listed for both Sat and Sun.

12:00-12:50 RACE CAR RIDES (which immediately follows the kids caravan)

So for clarity of this thread: I am asking about the RACE CAR RIDES.

I assumed that the RACE CAR RIDES work like this: Person A donates some $$ to the charity, by doing so they get ride in an ICSCC race car during the RACE CAR RIDES part of the schedule. However, I created a thread to confirm this as I didn't want to assume incorrectly. Apparently, in doing so, hilarity ensued and clarity is needed.

Now, if I've assumed correctly, that Person A can donate $$ to Doernbecher and thus earn a ride in an ICSCC race car during the RACE CAR RIDES portion of the schedule, would it not be wise to invite a target rich audience of potential future racers to come to the event, donate $$ and see what it's like to strap into a real race car?

Last edited:
Makes perfect sense Colin. When my son was deciding about drivers school I made a donation, got him in a car with Bockman and off he went.......might load the wife into a race car for a ride this year......daughter in law seems to be gestating every time this race comes arround.....

Colin, have you asked the CSCC race chairman to put you in touch with the individuals that will be organizing the RACE CAR RIDES? Or would you like to continue with more speculation?

Inappropriate Ken and I don't appreciate your flippant response.

I was in the process of looking up CSCC contact info when I read your post. I wasn't speculating I was asking and deliberately asking on the ICSCC forum that is public to all clubs so that an answer would benefit all. But clearly it's all gone wrong as my original question lacked clarity in its intent and when I clarify exactly what I'm asking I get attacked.

That's pretty weak.

Inappropriate Ken and I don't appreciate your flippant response......

Ouch! Stinging rebuke there, Colin. Sorta like.. "So don't promote donations to kids?" :) :)

Actually Ken is a pretty nice guy and I think he was just trying to give you a direct path to sources of factual information.

Colin I would tell the forum's you mentioned and invite them out for the weekend. weather or not they get a ride or not is a different thing. a few years ago cscc had to stop giving rides because it was time for the racing to start. other years they have sent cars back to the pits because no one wanted a ride. get it out there its only going to hurt Dorenbecher, ICSCC, CSCC other local racing clubs from the online communities area if we don't tell them about it.

Mike Smith here, CSCC Race Chairman , logged in on my daughters account because I can't remember my password. Yep, very lame!

Colin, pretty much what Eric said. Feel free to tell anyone you can think of about our Race Car Rides, the more people, the better.

We appreciate your interest.

Thanks

Just trying to clarify, Colin. As I had attempted to do in my previous post.

And if you think THAT'S flippant, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

We absolutely want car enthusiasts to be drawn into our racing events, especially our charity event. New faces will add to the potential for $ donations in the rides, the auction, etc.

Getting a ride in a real live racecar!... is definitely a potential for hooking a new racer. Go for it!

Something to be aware of during the charity weekend is that there are going to be more non-Conference people wandering around. We are ambassadors for Conference and by being friendly and making them feel welcome, we may be able to draw them into either volunteering or racing. Make sure to tell people about how fun it is to volunteer!

Mike Smith here, CSCC Race Chairman , logged in on my daughters account because I can't remember my password. Yep, very lame!

Colin, pretty much what Eric said. Feel free to tell anyone you can think of about our Race Car Rides, the more people, the better.

We appreciate your interest.

Thanks

6 GT86's (FRS/BRZ) registered for the CSCC drivers school/HPDE. They have also now been invited to stick around for the weekend and watch and donate.

Back