Questions on health issues - call a family member?

Greg Miller

How important is it to have a sense of family in our organization?
I got a call from another racer last night asking if it was ok to ask me some "personal questions". He had the word "prostate" come up during a physical and it was recommended that he go in for further tests.
He remembered when I had a windshield banner that said "Cancer Survivor / check often act early". (Since then the Toyo banner has replaced the survivor banner because they offered a chance to make my racing habit more affordable)
Yes I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and took action that I determined was right for me. I have 3 brothers that have been plagued with the other prostate problem - enlargement. Also my ex wife just passed due to colon cancer - she didn't like to go to the doctors for regular physicals.
Do I mind talking about these issues? Obviously not as evidenced by this post. I figure my friends and family are worthy of a frank open discussion on matters of health. I have witnessed similar exchanges among others within ICSCC. Let's face it the average age of ICSCC members is such that health issues happen. I for one am glad to be part of a community that cares for its members.
On or off the track I can't think of a better community to be involved with.

Greg, I too share your experience with prostate cancer and am happy to discuss the options with anyone faced with making some decisions. When I went through it 1 1/2 years ago I didn't know anyone else who had it. If you know of someone that needs another viewpoint have them get in touch with me.

Thanks guys - just doing my job as a human being.
Michael Maros proves my point that we are family and here to support each other.

In my experience there are some guys who don't want to give away secrets that are under the hood, but nobody that I have met so far in Conference that wouldn't gladly share private medical info if they thought it would help. For the most part racers just seem to be those kind of people. Competitors for fun but family when there is trouble.

Back