ORP - Worth the drive!

Greg Miller

Just a quick post as I'm supposed to be working...
I am reminded of the days when in the service we were on liberty away from home base, or in business at an away multi day seminar. It is easy to establish lasting ties with people you didn't know that well when the normal home environment is not distracting you. ORP is a place where that seems to happen.
Kudos for Don Crawford for trying his best to get us all squeezed in on the paved paddock, to the Rissenbergers for being paddock marshals and jittney drivers to horse the trailers into and out of tight places, and to all else to make it a fun event.
The turn stations were well placed and the course markings well done. It was a blast to drive it under race conditions. The helicopter and fire truck were on site and ready for any incident.
The wind was up but with the chain link fence on both sides of the paddock it was easy to keep tents in place.
Tip: When you go bring some 5 gal buckets and fill them with gravel at the gravel pit for tent weights.
The towns people were there with hot mini donuts, hot coffee, sandwiches and smiles. Now that the road to the track is paved it is only a couple minutes to town to dump your RV and refill it.
Tip 2: Work with Don Crawford (or designated parking boss) and get your paddock space requirements known well before the race. Now is a good time to start. We in Pro3 shared 2 enclosed trailers and one Motorhome for 15 cars. That way we had trailers for changing, tool lock up (but you are in a gated compound) and the Mothership for generator and food needs. The "facilities" included wash sinks - which is nice.
I recommend going to the future races at ORP - it can only get better from here and there are a few more seconds that can be found on the track for sure. Great job TC and ORP!
Ps: I returned to Kirkland via I5 - I84 in a little over 5 hours with little traffic driving at the speed limit - Dave K drove to Woodinville using I90 and 97 in a little under 5 hours. I'm guessing I used less fuel, but it works either way.

Thanks to all the people who worked very hard to pull off a great inaugural race weekend. Our volunteers did a great job working through new-track/first-race issues.
The stewards and the ORP race coordinators seem to be eager to hear feedback, both compliments and suggestions.

Thanks to everyone who made this event possible. The level of preparation and organization would have impressed me if this had been a typical PIR event, but pulling off the first race at a new track without any apparent hitches was a real accomplishment. I look forward to running with you guys again at ORP in the near future (hopefully with a few more of the F5 crowd in tow).

As for the track...all I can say is WOW! No boring straight bits, just a ton of extremely challenging corners and an astonishing amount of elevation change. Lots of room for side-by-side racing and even a bit of relatively friendly runoff on the critical corners for those times you get it all wrong (I tested it in a few turns). Obviously there are many areas where the facilities could improve (parking, water, power, etc), but all of the essentials for a great race weekend are there.

Sheldon Lemoine
#727 F500

Back