Droid/IPhone lapping application

kyle_nickels

"The Okie"
A while back someone posted info about using an IPhone for a laping recorder. Now that the Droids are out there does anyone know of an app for those phones??

I went out & bought one of those apps last year when the first thread came up. It did work - sort of. I used it one session and never again. Not sure how the interface works on a Droid, but the iPhone interface works by some sort of electrical/static connection between your finger & the phone. So you can't do anything with the phone with a driving glove on.

For Droid, it's called Track Master and it was developed in the NW. Not only does it give you lap times but you can designate sector times and do THrottle/Coast/Brake data overlay onto the track via Google Earth.

http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/welcome

Roldan used it on his Android at Spokane and it worked quite well. With the tree line at PR I'm not sure if the device can pick up as many satellites but it's worth a shot and heck, it's only $7 on the Android Marketplace.

Most Android phones have the same type of screen as the iPhone where you can't operate the screen with gloves on.

I'm sponsored by Trackmaster. Maybe I need bigger decals :) Although I may be a bit biased, I try to give an objective opinion.

It's a great application for the money. It has consistenly hit within a .005 of the official timing and scoring used by Conference (Even at PR with the trees). About the only time it really has an interference problem is when the weather is really bad outside.

The interface is easy to use in my opinion. It has a lot of "note taking" abilities so you can keep track of your car setups. It does burn the through the battery of the phone quite quickly though, so if you want to use it make sure you have a cigarette lighter plug-in in the car.

If you want to see how it works, stop by my paddock space this weekend I can give you a demo.

I'm friends with the application owner/developer. He is a good guy and possibly will come out to run with Conference next season (IF I get him off his karting schtick).

Last edited:
Awesome. Thats guys. I am upgrading phones soon and want this! I won't be at Seattle this weekend but if you make it to the PIR race next I will look you up.

There are a few for the iphone. I have MaxQData. I haven't found a good place to mount the phone so I have not tried it yet. There are a few others out there as well.

Ok, now how to safely mount my phone in my race car.?

I've got my suction cupped to the windshield, then teathered to the roll cage in case it loses suction.
If you look at Trackmaster's website, the photo of the camera mounted on the windshield is from my car. You can pick up one of those style mounts pretty inexpensively I think.

Back